Here are free resources about the Colombia Cali Mission:
Aquí están algunos recursos gratuitos sobre la Misión Colombia Cali:
- Mission address and phone number
- Mission map
- Missionary blogs
- Facebook groups
- LDS Mission t-shirts and gifts
- List of past mission presidents
- Cultural articles written by returned missionaries
- Survey with RMs
*Other Mission Pages: Colombia LDS Missions.
Colombia Cali Mission Address
Here’s a recent address for the Colombia Cali Mission. We try to keep this info up to date, but it’s a good idea to check the address with several sources, including your mission packet or the mission office.
Colombia Cali Mission Map
Here’s a link to the mission map for the Colombia Cali Mission (LDS). To access the official, up-to-date LDS.org map for the Cali Mission:
Colombia Cali Missionary Blogs
Here’s a list of LDS missionary blogs for the Colombia Cali Mission. This list includes the missionary’s name, URL and when their blog was updated.
Colombia Cali Mission Groups
Here are Colombia Cali Mission Groups- for LDS missionary moms, returned missionaries, mission presidents and other alumni of the Cali Mission.
- Colombia Cali Mission, Mision Colombia Cali Group (843 members)
- Mision Colombia Cali – Lo Mejor!!! Facebook Group (560 members)
- Ex-Misioneros 90-95 (Pres. Chumbita y Ferreira) Group (255 members)
- Mision Cali Colombia Facebook Group (243 members)
- Compis Mision Cali Colombia! Facebook Group (130 members)
- Mision Colombia Cali Facebook Group (89 members)
- Reunion de la Mision Colombia Cali Facebook Group (22 members)
- Mision Cali Colombia 2007-2010 Facebook Group (15 members)
- Cali Mission Moms and Friends (LDS) Group (2 members)
- Mision Cali 1982-3 (Presidente Julio Davila) Group (1 member)
Colombia Cali Mission T-Shirts
Here are T-shirts for the Colombia Cali Mission!
Shirt designs include Colombia Cali Mission logo/emblem shirts and Called to Serve shirts. The shirts make great gifts for pre-missionaries, returned missionaries and missionaries currently serving. LDS Mission shirts come in all sizes: Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large, up to 4XL. The mission designs are printed on white shirts and are shipped to you.
*Simply click on a shirt design to view the details and submit an order. The designs on mission t-shirts may also be printed on other LDS mission gifts, including: Colombia Cali missionary aprons, Christmas stockings, ties, pillow cases, teddy bears and Christmas ornaments.
Colombia Cali Mission Presidents
Here’s a list of current and past Mission Presidents of the Cali LDS Mission.
- 2017-2020, Ray P. Whitesides
- 2014-2017, Sergio Prícoli
- 2011-2014, Jonathan M. Prince
- 2008-2011, Edgar Bolivar
- 2005-2008, Horacio Jorge Nieto
- 2002-2005, Jorge Eduardo Trujillo
- 1999-2002, Noel Diaz
- 1996-1999, Alexander Nuñez
- 1993-1996, Ferreira Jaime
- 1990-1993, Julio Chumbita
- 1987-1990, Jorge M. Leaño Rodríguez
- 1984-1987, Lynn Mickelsen
- 1981-1984, Julio Davila
- 1978-1981 Robert Harding
- 1975-1978, Jay Jensen
Colombia LDS Statistics (2016)
- Church Membership: 193,350
- Missions: 5
- Temples: 1
- Congregations: 264
- Family History Centers: 51
Helpful Articles about Colombia
Colombia Cali Missionary Survey
Here are survey responses from Colombia Cali RMs, to give you a snapshot into what it’s like to live in the mission.
When did you serve?
- 2003-2005 (Mery)
- 1991-1993 (Clint)
- 1977-1979 (Scott)
What areas did you serve in?
- Cali, Medellin, Marinilla, Tulua. (Mery)
- Palmira, Tulua, Terron Colorado (Cali), Popayan, Dos Quebradas (Pereira). (Clint)
- Cali, Bello, Armenia, Manizales, Zarzal. (Scott)
What were some favorite foods?
- Bandeja paisa Buñuelos Natilla lechona ajiaco. (Mery)
- Bandeja Paisa, empanadas, jugo de maracuya, arepa frita con queso campesino. (Clint)
- Delicious tropical fruits, fresh bread, lots of local dishes I enjoyed and some that I didn’t, but there was nearly always rice with each meal, so if there was something I didn’t like, I would just mix it with rice and pretend to enjoy. (Scott)
What was a funny experience?
- Nuestros lideres de zona nos dijeron que nos darían una super referencia de un joven que ellos encontraron al tocar puertas y dijeron que seria investigadora de oro, al tocar su timbre salio ella y le dice al LZ hola guapo te estaba esperando, jajajaj su compañero y nosotras dos nos reimos a carcajadas al ver su cara roja de la pena jajaja, el era muy serio y reglista esta fue una experiencia muy chistosa para nosotros. (Mery)
- Mispronouncing or misusing Spanish words that changed the meaning significantly and saying inappropriate things. Like instead of saying I had a girlfriend waiting for me back home I accidentally said I had a pregnant girlfriend back home. (Clint)
- For a zone activity, we got together and played baseball. Many of the Colombians had never heard of baseball so we had a lot of fun explaining the game as we went along with limited equipment. (Scott)
What was a crazy experience?
- Los ladrones se entraron a la terraza de nuestra casa y al despertar estaban sus huellitas por todas partes. (Mery)
- Being approached by drunk or otherwise impaired person. Waiting for a bus late at night on an abandoned street. Getting separated from my companion. (Clint)
- We were attacked by a man with a large knife. We were protected and were not harmed. (Scott)
What was a spiritual experience?
- Estabamos enseñando mi hija y yo (Hna. Vargas y Hna. Santiago)en Cali a Libardo un hombre que padecía de esquizofrenia y usaba drogas por muchos años, al enseñarle sobre el libro de Mormón sentí muy fuerte la voz del espíritu que me decía que debía prometerle que al leerlo el poder de la expiación de Jesucristo le ayudaría a poner en orden su vida y que sentiría paz en su vida al fin, mi corazón latía muy fuerte, me ardía el pecho, testifique ese día sobre eso que sentía y le invitamos a leer todos los días el libro de Mormón y el mejoró su vida gracias al poder del Libro de Mormón, y aceptó bautizarse. (Mery)
- Seeing the things truly converted people were willing to give up and leave behind. Finding out years later that a young convert served a mission, was married in the temple and is serving faithfully in the church 20+ years later. (Clint)
- I have a journal full of them including the experience mentioned above. (Scott)
What are some interesting facts about the Cali Mission?
- Amaba las conferencias de misión sentía que Dios daba respuestas a mis oraciones y que me fortalecía con cada palabra que mi presidente enseñaba, ademas amaba poder discursar y compartir lo que aprendía en el campo y en mi (Mery)
- Didn’t have hot water very often. Slept on straw mattresses. Gave discussions by candle light. Beautiful green valleys and lush mountains. Volcanoes everywhere. We were on volcano alert more than once. We did our own laundry by hand in big concrete tanks and wash boards. (Clint)
What was the weather like?
- Calido muy cálido excepto en Medellín la tierra de la eterna primavera que delicisioso frio y mucha montaña que subir y bajar todo el tiempo. (Mery)
- In the valley, it was hot and humid all year round. Not nearly as hot as Phoenix and probably not as humid as Houston in the summer time. In the mountains, it was chilly at night and it rained nearly every day in the mountains. (Clint)
- Temperatures were moderate to hot depending on where you were serving. My favorite city for weather was Manizales. Never too hot or too cold there. If I recall we got plenty of rainfall. (Scott)
Any things you really like about the area/people?
- Vamo a mis hermanos colombianos, gente muy generosa, alegre, los miembros eran super divertidos en las actividades de barrio y de estaca daban su mejor empeño, y duraante los almuerzos eran gente muy cálida, muy generosa, y llena de afecto para con nosotros. (Mery)
- Humble people that loved the gospel and made great sacrifices for it. Beautiful scenery and good food. (Clint)
- While serving a mission, you learn to love the people you serve. I have so many treasured memories of numerous people I either taught or worked with while there. There was also a lot of beautiful scenery where I served. (Scott)
Any packing/clothing advice?
- Our mission president sent us a revised clothing list. One suit only on Sundays and for Mission meetings. Cotton pants that did not require dry cleaning because of the rain and dirt streets and jungle type terrain. (Clint)
- I just followed the advice from my Mission President. One thing I could add is that when I was there, it was very difficult to find quality shoes. I brought two pair of high quality dress shoes but one was lost in a transfer and the other I wore until they were thoroughly worn out. The last several months of my mission I went through several pairs of shoes bought in Colombia. (Scott)
What blessings did you receive from serving a mission?
- Aprendí a reconocer y escuchar la voz del Salvador, Mi relación personal con el Padre Celestial se hizo mas cercana, fortalecí mi testimonio de la Restauración del Evangelio, se bautizaron muchos de mis amigos y familiares mientras yo servía en el campo misional, (Mery)
- Firm testimony of the restored gospel and a love for God’s children no matter where they are from. I learned how to better express myself and gain a comfort for approaching people. I still use my Spanish today. I teach construction/engineering classes in Spanish all over the United States and in central America. Spanish speaking people still compliment me on my Spanish. (Clint)
- They are far too numerous to explain here. (Scott)
What are some skills you gained?
- Desarrollé gratitud por mis padres y caridad por mis semejantes, aprendi a usar mejor el dinero y el tiempo, y mis talentos, mi fe en mi misma, en Dios y en mis sueños creció mucho, desarrollé la esperanza de que mi testimonio puede llevar a muchos a la verdad aun después de ser relevada he visto esto en acción y soy muy feliz por poder ayudar a otros a aceptar la verdad entre ellos amigos y vecinos que se han unido a la iglesia. (Mery)
- Get up early. Work hard. Go to bed on time. Still a big part of my life today. Speak, read, and write Spanish fluently. Accepting that no task and no calling is too hard to get done. (Clint)
- The most obvious one is that I mastered another language. Instead of trying to make a list of specific things, let me just say that serving the Lord for 24 hours a day for 2 years is a fabulous opportunity for growth. When you turn your life over to our Savior, he will make weak things strong. (Scott)
What do you wish you knew/did at the beginning of your mission?
- Teach members to work in missionary work by sharing Mormon’s book with friends and neighbors (Mery)
- Looking back, I can’t think of anything I wish I had known. (Clint)
- We had instructors at the Language Training Mission who tried to give us culture lessons about Colombia, but until I got there and experienced the culture for myself, what they said had little meaning. I had a strong testimony and was thrilled for the opportunity to serve a mission, but I still felt inadequate. (Scott)
Any advice/testimony for pre-missionaries going to Cali?
- Yo se con todo mi corazon que la clave en la obra misional en Mision Colombia Cali, o en cualquier parte del mundo son el amor y la obediencia, amor al Salvador, amor a los lideres, amor al evangelio, amor a su familia a la que representan, amor a su compañero, amor a los miembros, amor al lugar donde sirven, Testifico que el obedecer losmandamientos y las reglas de la misión conduce nuestras mentes y corazones hacia los elegidos, se que hay mucha gente lista y dispuesta a aceptar el evangelio, y al guardar las reglas de la misión el Espíritu les guiará a esas personas, Dios vive, es un PAdre bondadosa y hoy en dia efectua grandes milagros, nos conoce, la Iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de los Ultimos Dias es el Reino de Dios sobre la Tierra, la obra misional prepará la tierra par ala segunda venida del Salvador, y uds son parte de esta hermosa promesa a los habitantes de la tierra, en el nombre de Jesucristo les prometo que angeles trabajaran a su lado todo el tiempom, yo lo he vivido y se que es real, Amen. (Mery)
- Obey the mission rules. Obey your Mission President. Never think you are the exception. You’re NOT. Blessings will come from obedience. Your President has the mantle, not you or your parents. Follow his counsel without question. (Clint)
- Be obedient and lose yourself in the service of others. As you do this you will have the greatest 2 years of your life. (At least, up to that point in your life.) (Scott)
What was a funny language mistake?
- Mi novia me esta esperando. My girlfriend is waiting for me. Mi novia esta esperando. My girlfriend is waiting in a motherly way. She’s pregnant. That was an awkward moment. (Clint)
- I couldn’t remember the word for soap when getting ready for a shower. I asked my Colombian companion “Donde esta la sopa? Also, at the beginning of my mission, my companion was also very new and he liked to translate “sayings” word for word into Spanish but they didn’t always work. For example: he tried to teach our investigators that “you can’t have your cake and eat it too” They were convinced that cake (torta) was against the word of wisdom. (Scott)