Here’s a free collection of resources about lactose intolerance (also called milk intolerance).
- Pain Management
- Diet and Exercise
Lactose Intolerance Survey
We’re surveying people about their experiences with lactose intolerance. Here will be a collection of their responses.
*This information is not meant to replace medical advice, and the information gathered via surveys may or may not be correct. Hopefully it will be helpful to you!
*Response format = Answer (Name, Age)
Lactose Intolerance Symptoms
What symptoms have you experienced?
- Bloating, heartburn, indigestion and constipation. (Hannah, 26 years old)
- Very bad diarrhea, abdominal pain, gas and bloating. (Cindy, 60 years old)
Lactose Intolerance Causes
Is there anything you believe contributed to or caused your lactose intolerance?
- An over abundance growing up? (Hannah, 26 years old)
- Only thing my doctor and I thought is any dairy product. (Cindy, 60 years old)
Lactose Intolerance Facts
What are some interesting facts about lactose intolerance?
- There are different levels of lactose in different cheeses. Parmesan being the lowest. Ricotta being the highest. (Hannah, 26 years old)
- It’s horrible. It disrupts your live. (Cindy, 60 years old)
Lactose Intolerance Pain Management
What’s your experience with Lactose Intolerance-related pain and pain relief?
- Supplements used to help. Not anymore. It’s easier to avoid. (Hannah, 26 years old)
- If I stay away from dairy I feel better. (Cindy, 60 years old)
Lactose Intolerance Difficulties
What are the hardest aspects of living with lactose intolerance?
- Cheese is on everything or everything is cooked in butter at restaurants. All the GOOD desserts at restaurants have dairy. It’s ridiculous. (Hannah, 26 years old)
- Worrying about being near a bathroom. Not wanting to go anywhere. (Cindy, 60 years old)
Lactose Intolerance Advice
What encouragement/advice can you give others who are lactose intolerant?
- Do your research. (Hannah, 26 years old)
- Talk to a doctor. Hopefully he can help with tx and meds. (Cindy, 60 years old)
Lactose Intolerance Treatments
What’s been your experience with treatments (medication, etc.)?
- Not helpful, or they help temporarily only. (Hannah, 26 years old)
- Some are better than others. One fantastic med is not off market. Company is not making it anymore. Very depressing, but hang in there. Try to live a productive life. It’s very hard. (Cindy, 60 years old)
Lactose Intolerance Recommendations
Anything you’d recommend for someone with Lactose Intolerance?
- Switching to nut milks. Enjoy life chocolate chips are amazing. (Hannah, 26 years old)
- Try to live your life, even though it can be very hard. (Cindy, 60 years old)
Lactose Intolerance Resources
What specific resources have you found most helpful?
- Online pamphlets, friends and doctor. (Cindy, 60 years old)
Lactose Intolerance Stories
Share an experience you’ve had related to living with lactose intolerance.
- There isn’t much education on it. Baby boomers don’t even know what is considered “dairy free”. They think cooking with butter isn’t bad or is only a little and it won’t be a big deal. (Hannah, 26 years old)
- Having a bad episode while out. In long bathroom line and not being able to get in. Stressful. (Cindy, 60 years old)